by Carmen Van Kerckhove
A few years ago I was at a conference to deliver a workshop. During the break, a man came up to me and asked me what topic I’d be speaking on.
“Interracial relationships,” I replied.
As soon as the words came out of my mouth, his whole manner changed.
He started leering, and asked me in a low, suggestive tone, “Is this based on personal experience?”
Actually my workshop was all about debunking sexual myths and destroying racial stereotypes. But the minute he heard me say the word “interracial,” all he could think about was sex.
What is it about the combination of race and sex that makes it so explosive? How is race getting in the way of your relationships without you even knowing it? What racial dynamics are driving the unconscious choices you’re making when it comes to your relationships?
I’m going to share that and much more on a FREE CALL happening on Wednesday, July 1, 2009 at 1:00 pm Eastern time.
“Love and Sex:
What’s Race Got to Do With It?”
On this lively, information-packed 60-minute call, you’ll learn:
- What “racial scripts” are and how they influence your interactions with others.
- Why an increase in the numbers of interracial couples is NOT evidence that racism is declining.
- What assumptions people are making about you right now based on the race of your partner.
- How these assumptions can interfere with everything from the friendships you form to your career prospects.
- Hidden influences you may not even be aware of and what to do about them.
Limited lines are available for this call, so you’ll want to make sure you reserve your spot right away.
Just click the link above, enter your information in the boxes on the page, and you’ll receive the complete call details via email.
We will record the call, but only people who have registered will receive instructions on how to download the audio recording. So even if you’re not sure if you can make the call live, register now!
This call is a content-rich preview to an exciting new program I’m launching called The Racialicious Experience. If you’re a fan of our sister blog, you won’t want to miss it!